“Was Monsignor William Lynn trying to protect children or the church?
“As the official responsible for investigating allegations of clergy-sex abuse around Philadelphia, he couldn’t do both, Assistant District Attorney Jacqueline Coelho told jurors. So Lynn, she said, chose to spare church leaders and his fellow priests from scandal at the expense of victims and the public.
“‘You can’t protect the church without keeping the allegations in the dark,’ Coelho said in her opening statement. ‘He kept the parishioners in the dark, and he kept the faithful in the dark.’”
— John P. Martin
“Protecting children or church?”
Philadelphia Inquirer, March 27, 2012
Related posts (automatically generated):
- The Hypocrisy Files: The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops and “Religious Freedom”
- The Hypocrisy Files: Church Prohibits Donations to Komen, But Gladly Takes Komen Money
- First of Three Philly Priests Caves in “Landmark” Abuse Case: Edward Avery Pleads Guilty
- The Hypocrisy Files: Ki Gulbranson, Self-Entitled Anti-“Entitlement” Activist
- The Hypocrisy Files: Where’s the Day of Prayer and Fasting for Abuse Victims?