Yes, it looks like a demon-possessed Howdy Doody, but don’t worry — it’s only Peter Sprigg.
“It’s well known that many [anti-gay religious] groups have led boycotts of companies that support LGBT rights, typically because they supposedly back ‘the homosexual lifestyle’ or produce risque entertainment. But when LGBT supporters call for boycotts of companies that support anti-gay causes and rhetoric … well, that’s when the very same anti-gay religious groups begin to whine about ‘discrimination,’ ‘economic terrorism,’ and ‘bullying.’ …
“The response of anti-gay groups like FRC [Family Research Council] is to complain that LGBT groups are forcing companies to ‘discriminate’ against Christians. FRC launched a ‘Resist Discrimination’ campaign that demands that companies ‘resist pressure to discriminate against customers with a traditional, biblical view of marriage.’ …
“The FRC’s Peter Sprigg … claimed … that ‘everything we do is motivated by love for the people who are hurt by this lifestyle.’ FRC shows that ‘love’ through boycotts, too — ‘discrimination,’ as the group would have it, against Wal-Mart and McDonald’s, which have been too friendly to LGBT people for FRC’s taste.
“The AFA [American Family Association] is no stranger to boycotts, or hypocrisy, either. They’ve boycotted Hallmark for its line of LGBT-friendly cards, and Home Depot for supporting LGBT rights. This past May , One Million Moms, an AFA project, urged members to try to convince advertisers to drop their support of the TV show ‘Glee,’ which, they claimed, was glorifying ‘the homosexual lifestyle.’ …
“Isn’t this precisely the kind of thing the religious-right groups like to call ‘moral relativism’?”
— Evelyn Schlatter
“Hypocrisy Unlimited: Anti-Gay Groups Denounce Boycott”
Hatewatch, September 1, 2011
Related posts (automatically generated):
- The Hypocrisy Files: “Penchant for Secrecy” Is Not Code for “Anti-Mormon Bias”
- The Hypocrisy Files: No One Is Trying to Force Vallejo’s Mayor to “Renounce His Christian Beliefs”
- The Hypocrisy Files: Ki Gulbranson, Self-Entitled Anti-“Entitlement” Activist, Once More
- The Hypocrisy Files: Religious Liberty: Non-Christians Need Not Apply, Part 2
- The Hypocrisy Files: Joel Osteen Doesn’t Think Gays Should Be Discriminated Against, Except When It Comes to Discriminating Against Gays