We Knew There Had To Be Another Reason (Besides A Frequently Naked Anna Paquin) We Love “True Blood”
Perfect — just perfect (and right in line with the “God Hates Fangs” theme from Season 1 on):
Alan Ball: For me the jumping off point was watching the Republican primaries, watching Michele Bachmann, Rick Santorum, and asking what would it be like to have a theocracy in America – which is way more terrifying than any fictional monster could ever be.
Our jumping off point was “OK, what is a vampire theocracy?” You don’t really see vampires being religious creatures. They are excluded from God. But what if there was a vampire bible? A religion? Theocracy? How would that impact our human characters, or vampire characters? I haven’t really seen that before.
Why Rick Santorum?
Alan Ball: What’s terrifying is how many people agree with him.
Chris Meloni comes in, he is the guardian of the blood. Supposedly they have a vial of blood of the first vampire — like a Catholic icon. The governing body of vampires is like the Catholic church plus the Supreme Court for vampires. But it’s a very secret organization.
— “Rick Santorum Inspired ‘True Blood’ Season 5, Says Creator Alan Ball”
The Wrap, June 19, 2012
Related posts (automatically generated):
- The Hypocrisy Files: Santorum Was for College Before He Was Against It
- The Hypocrisy Files: Which Reagan?
- The Hypocrisy Files: When Santorum Stuck Pennsylvania Taxpayers for His Non-Resident Kids’ Education
- He’s Outta Here! Santorum Can Go Spread His Pre-Vatican II Sharia Law Elsewhere
- Santorum Spreads It: Tells Big Fib About UC System