Backstory: “16 Amish Beard Cutters Convicted of Hate Crimes Against ‘Religious Enemies’,” September 22, 2012
TOLEDO, Ohio — Putting all of the Amish men and women convicted in beard- and hair-cutting attacks on fellow Amish behind bars now during harvest season would create a financial hardship for their families and could leave their children hungry this winter, their lawyers said. …
The attorney for one woman says she should be allowed to remain free until sentencing, in part, because she’s busy harvesting crops and canning food for her 10 children. …
Lester Miller … who has 11 children under the age of 16, is also needed at home for the fall harvest and to preserve food for the winter, his attorney said. …
— “Amish in beard-cutting hate crimes say jail time will hurt families financially”
AP, September 27, 2012
Gee, guess they should have thought of that before they launched their mass hate-crime attack — or before having all those kids (“her 10 children”? “11 children under the age of 16”? Geez, zip it up once in a while, people!), who are now suffering not because of the mean ol’ legal system, but because their parents are a bunch of irresponsible louts who think their own super-special flavor of fatwa makes them above the law.
May as well free every person convicted of an “honor killing,” whether rooted in religion or gang affiliation — we’re sure a lot of Crips and Bloods sitting in prison right now have dependent families, too.
In the end, whether forcibly shearing off an enemy’s beard or gunning down a rival on the street corner, it all boils down to the same thing: an archaic, feudalist tribe mentality that makes about as much sense as eating the heart of one’s enemy in order to absorb his strength.
Related posts (automatically generated):
- 16 Amish Beard Cutters Convicted of Hate Crimes Against “Religious Enemies”
- Justice! Amish-Mennonite Pastor Kenneth L. Miller Convicted of Abetting International Kidnapping of Isabella Miller-Jenkins
- Trial’s On for Amish-Mennonite Pastor Accused of Aiding International Child Abduction of Isabella Miller-Jenkins
- Andy Gipson Doesn’t Call for Death to Gays — He Lets the Bible Do It for Him
- Acid Trip: Nan Hayworth (R-WarOnWomen, NY) & Jay Townsend: Don’t Take Call to Maim Women So Seriously