Pentecostal “Biker’s Church” Youth Minister Laura Lee Salazar Cops Plea to 15 Counts of Sex With Kids, Gets 12 Years… Sort Of
If you aren’t familiar with the revolting story of the revolting Laura Lee Click Salazar and her equally revolting husband Michael Salazar, do read the backstory — you just won’t believe how creepy these people are.
• “Christian Couple of the Month: Michael and Laura Salazar,” September 25, 2010
Now, for the pretty-good news: Laura Salazar finally pleaded guilty to 15 counts of sex with minors (“seven counts of statutory rape and seven counts of sexual battery by a person of trust with supervisory or disciplinary power over the girls by virtue of being a youth leader and one count of conspiracy with her husband to commit statutory rape and battery on three girls, then 14”) and earned a twelve-year sentence.
Again, this is only pretty-good news. It’s a crying shame she won’t be serving the entire twelve years behind bars (IONSHO, she deserves all that and more); she’ll be penned up for just one year, then serve the remaining eleven on “community corrections” — a sort of heavy-duty probation that’s supposed to offset overcrowding in Tennessee prisons.
The state calls the “community corrections” program “the last alternative to incarceration,” and, when deciding whether to lock up a crim or just keep him/her on a short leash, takes into account “different factors such as age, type of crimes, prior arrest history and their potential for rehabilitation.”
That’s where we think Judge David R. Duggan was asleep at the switch. We’re talking about raping young girls here, not marijuana possession (although Salazar has been busted for that, too); if joining in with your rapist of a husband in sexually assaulting teenage girls (as young as 14, mind you) isn’t enough of a reason to get you locked up for at least twelve years, we don’t know what is.
Did we mention…? The Salazars have a passel of kids of their own, none much older than the girls the Salazars violated. Wouldn’t it make sense to keep those kids relatively safe from their mother’s influence for the next decade? (Michael Salazar is already in the pen for another 18 years or so, thank goodness.) On the other hand, judging by the shockingly aggressive and profane remarks disparaging the police, the courts, and the victims themselves posted to Facebook by someone who claims to be a Click/Salazar child (and echoed by various relatives who appear to be in complete denial about the Salazars’ guilt — never mind that both pleaded guilty), perhaps it’s too late.*
Whatever Judge Duggan was thinking (and we can’t imagine what his reasoning could be), at least Laura Salazar is guilty, she’s going to the jug (if only for a while, but it won’t be a pleasant experience once she comes into contact with any grizzly mamas with kids of their own on the outside), and, what with sex-offender registration, she’s marked for life as a child molester.
That’s something. It’s not enough. But it’s something.
* Yes, the Salazars’ Facebook profiles and those of their children, siblings and other relatives are easy to find, if you feel like looking. No, we’re not going to link to any of them — having seen a few, we feel the urgent need for a long, hot shower.
Related posts (automatically generated):
- Pentecostal “Biker’s Church” Youth Minister & Accused Statutory Rapist Laura Lee Salazar Finally Gets Trial Date
- Pentecostal “Biker’s Church” Youth Minister & Accused Statutory Rapist Laura Lee Salazar Arrested Again
- Catching Up With… Laura Lee Salazar: One Half of ConBab Christian Couple of the Month for Sept., 2010, Indicted on Seven Counts of Statutory Rape
- Christian Couple of the Month: Michael and Laura Salazar
- Seaford Baptist Church Associate Pastor & Youth Minister Jack Ryan Duffer Pleads Guilty